Crayon Time

Hi all!  I am so excited because I recently got Tim Holtz's crayon markers and began to play with them.  They are very similar to Gelatos and yet there are differences between them.  I decided to see how other crafters were applying them to their projects and after much review I had enough information to create the two cards below.

This media is definitely one that I will need to practice with because I am so NOT accustomed to working with pigment inks.  Anyway here are my first attempts at creating backgrounds using Tim Holtz crayons.
Card 1

To create this first card I used Set 1 or "Brights" to color my background.  I started with a piece of watercolor cardstock cut at 5 x 4.  

Next I started adding color to the cardstock using the crayons in the order they were packed. Once that was completed, using my fingers as my tool I began to blend the colors. 
I placed a droplet of water on my craft sheet to keep my fingertips wet as I blended my background. The crayons blended really well and they do create new colors when they overlap which I discovered quite quickly.  

While the background was drying I started working on the rest of the card.  I used a Martha Stewart border punch to create the band and both a circle punch and a scalloped circle punch to create the greeting. The words were stamped and then cut with a border using my Brother Scan 'N' Cut. Lastly I added a few pearls and completed the inside to match.

Card 2 

My second card was an attempt to use the resist technique with the crayons.  First I taped down my cardstock and then laid a stencil over it.  Using my crayons I lightly dabbed/colored the stencil randomly being careful not to move the stencil. Then without any water I used my fingers to finish blending the crayons into the stencil.

Next I removed the stencil and allowed the coloring to dry. Once the first part of my background was dry I moved on to inking the cardstock using distress ink "tumbled glass" covering the entire piece of cardstock and the crayon resisted the ink...pretty darn cool!

I cut the cardstock at a slant to allow for my greeting which I popped up to add dimension. Lastly I added a few stars that I cut and layered using Quick Kutz "Nesting Starburst" dies. My final step was to complete the inside using left-over scraps and a few extra stars.

I would like to enter the following challenges:

The Crafty Addicts - #36 ATG/Die-cuts (6/3)(MM152)
Inspiration Destination - #128 ATG (5/30)(MM39)
Fab n Funky - #351 Create Background (5/22) (MM19)
Creative Moments - #118 ATG/No Twist (5/28)(MM42)
Crafty Creations - #341 ATG (5/23)(MM151)
Crafty Girls - #36 ATG (5/30)(MM152)
Crafting With Attitude - #27 ATG (5/24) (MM175)
Aud Sentiments - #180 ATG/Sentiment (5/30)(MM11)


Thanks for stopping by!
Sending Hugs from Texas
Lesia



6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Lesia it looks as though you really had fun 'playing', and so great to see two lovely cards as the result
Blessings
Maxine

CreativeAbuela said...

Mema, loved the Crayon play. both cards are gorgeous. I love that you are going beyond your usual comfort zone. Keep inspiring.

Love Creative abuela (Roberta)

Elizabeth Hart said...

Love how you used the crayons with a stencil - turned out fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Crafty Creations Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

cohenna said...

Beautiful!! Thank you for joining us at Fab'n'Funky :)

Nicola Gold said...

Great card, I love your bright rainbow background. Thank-you for joining us at the Crafting with an Attitude Challenge 'Anything Goes' May 2017.
Nicola, CWAA DT (Amethyst Lily Designs )

Gale said...

Beautiful cards Lesia. Love the butterflies. Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Addicts and we hope to see you again soon. Hugs, Gale DT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...